September 9, 2015

A note of thanks to Docstoc as it decides to pull out

Docstoc, a cloud storage service for businesses, has announced that it is pulling out.  With yet another online shop closing down the face of online earning is never the same. A few days ago, I received an email from Docstoc stating that the site is closing down permanently and that we need to pull all our documents before December, 1, 2015, which is when it has decided to be offline completely


“Please make sure to visit the site no later than November 30th, 2015 to retrieve copies of any documents you previously uploaded to your account.” The company says any questions can be asked through email at support@docstoc.com.     


What is Docstoc

Docstoc, founded in 2007 by Jason Nazar and Alon Shwartz, stores and a large selection millions of documents which could be exported/ downloaded. The site was a storehouse of resources such as videos, articles, slides etc. and was competing with likes of slideshare, scribd etc. In 2013, the company was taken over by software giant Intuit. Now that Intuit has decided “to discontinue the products”. Docstoc but has to shutdown.



What it means to me

I have been using Docstoc since 2008. Non-commercial and personal, it was a different platform then. I was uploading funny, light, health related, personal slides and was elated embedding them in my website and blog. I was non conversant with html and short codes and Docstoc allowed easy embedding app which became extremely popular. I had it clipped with Google Adsense and was earning a few cents from it as well. A few years back when it became mostly a business portal I still stuck to the site. If you ask me, Docstoc was more of an emotional episode that I found hard to let go just as all other pages (Helium, myLot, Associated Content, Bukisa, SharedReviews etc) in my life.

I do not quite understand the business issues but I do hope  that Docstoc comes back with another merger in a bigger and better way. So for the hiatus period - thank you docstoc.

2 comments:

  1. We have no idea why Intuit just shutdown docstoc instead of spinning them off. Our guess is the few millions of dollars they are valued at was not worth the trouble. We are a small enough company to find that horrifying, but one must assume Intuit knows what is best for their future. But, still a shame. Try www.edocr.com as an alternative. Thanks, edocr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used edocr.com for awhile now. Great platform for posting, hosting and sharing content.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...